Thursday, September 20, 2007

John Vanderslice with Bishop Allen - CDU

Last night delivered a concert that I expected: a pleasant opening band followed by a lackluster (but not bad) headliner.



Bishop Allen, a band I knew only through supermusic Blog You Ain't No Picasso (which I read, yes, only due to MDL [-- BTW, thnx, d00d; P.S. getta new Blog, L0l]), performed opening duties for John Vanderslice Wednesday night at CDU.

The place was well populated by the time I rolled in at 9:33 p.m., and the band was already well into what I assumed was their opening song. I got an immediate "ultimately indie" vibe from the band's dress -- button-down shirts topped tightly fitting pants, strands of hair conveniently obscured the singer's face. The drummer was in a cowboy garb, complete with cowboy boots.

The songs were okay. Not very innovative, never threw any curves, but delivered in melody and soundscapes. The band had a pretty good lead guitar player who had some interesting sounds to complement the essentially powerpop nature of the band. Bishop Allen's stage presence left a little to be desired, although they were certainly not the least energetic live performers I've seen (Tapes n' Tapes comes to mind).

It was a pleasant set marked by some interesting numbers here and there. Definitely not anything to write home about (though something to Blog about, I suppose). Not a performance that makes me seek out recordings, but if I had spent up to $5 to see the band, I would not have been disappointed.

Speaking of recordings, Bishop Allen ventured to release a separate EP each month of 2006. I can admire the dedication needed, and just the idea itself, although it seems a bit gimmicky.



John Vanderslice soon followed, with a band of apt musicians. They were able to make some neat sounds, combine some cool elements, have a drummer that also played keyboard (Bishop Allen's drummer doubled on glockenspiel from time to time). But for the most part, I just wasn't impressed -- much like the first two times I saw JV at CDU. There's an element of playing it too safe involved in his performances, coupled with a lack of fast-paced tunes. I can handle cutesy songs about a bunny that ran away backed by electronic beats and sounds, but you could speed it up about 10 clicks to get something going every now and again.

Vanderslice can put together a recording, but it seems he cannot rock out. (Again, I must note Tapes n' Tapes with respect to this.)

I suppose I will have to wait an excruciating 12 hours to get my rock on at the Queens of the Stone Age show tonight at The Moon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.